Tuesday 13 October 2009

Giving the games a rest

Across The Hall, is some sort of neo-noir wannabe movie about a cuckolded husband and the drastic steps he takes for revenge. It's moderately successful I guess in generating some tension from it's claustraphobic set up and the acting is passable but it's let down by a terrible clunking and cliched script.

Inglourious Basterds, mmm I wasn't so keen on Tarantino's latest, I dunno maybe I heard too many positive reviews but it felt patchy to me, underwritten in parts and overworked in others, I liked the Jew Hunter actor he was pretty good but the whole film felt distant from the Basterds, they didn't really get the screen time as a group as coherent whole, and I kept thinking it was some homage to an 80's film or something, felt 80's. Anyways the ending though stupid was really nicely done. Unless there's a much better cut to this film I'd say Tarantino's talent is unravelling.



I kinda liked this strange little black comedy satire Visioneers, and Galifianakis is quite good though he plays pretty much the same character as he did in Bored To Death & Hangover, none the less this is a nicely dark film about a future where most people work for the same monolithic company and start to explode, literally, due to the tedious trampled lives they lead and a man who yearns for something different.

Up is fantastic, probably the best Pixar film yet and that's saying something. A touching modern fable about a bereaved old man who floats his home away to fulfil his marital promise and reach Paradise Falls. Animation, design, script and voice acting are near flawless and it's a surprisingly mature animated feature dealing with the comedy and tragedy with equal skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment