Wednesday 17 June 2009

Glimmers from the Shiny box

Devil's Ground was average I guess, the usual kids in the woods meet nasty murderous locals story framed as flashbacks told to a stranger, in this case Daryl Hannah. I wonder sometimes how films with such hackneyed plots get greenlit - it had potential and some not-terrible acting but is mostly very ho-hum.

Into the Night, an 80's John Landis comedy thriller thing was better, mind you maybe I enjoyed it just because it has Michelle Pfeiffer in it,who knows. It's very 80's so unless you've got some sort of nostalgic sympathy for that era I''d stay away , sure it's got a plot, man meets stunning woman in trouble and haplessly helps her through the crisis but it's a bit thin on action and a bit thin on comedy. Plus Jeff Golblum is his usual self ie not as funny or charming as he thinks he his. Couple of BB King songs in it if you're interested.



Seconds was fantastic, I've always been a fan of the original Manchurian Candidate and Frankenhemier in general but I'd never even heard of this little gem. I don't want to say too much about this film but it made me think of Reggie Perrin and The Game by Fincher. Anyways I really must try and buy this for the shop and start picking through F's filmography.

Home by Yann Arthus-Bertrand is by far the best film this week, so far, after an array of drugs. His book Earth From The Air was published when I worked in the trade, it had some pretty amazing photography but after a while it got a little tired. This film however puts the images in the correct context, as a plea, a begging letter to the world, a hymn to our planet. Religious leaders should take note, the majesty of your "God's" creation has been sullied and your voice is but a whimper. Oh for leaders, lord knows the world needs leaders, people who can say the obvious truths, some clear thinking and honesty are needed more than ever and the majority of the people on this lovely planet are ill served by our "masters". Anyways guess I should say someting about the film itself, well it's rammed with amazing HD footage stamped with YAB's designery-style and the commentary is surprisingly educated and has plenty of stats that will chill your blood. Oh and did I mention it was free, as in freely distributed not just downloady free but actually free. Tip of the Hat Yann.

No comments:

Post a Comment