Tuesday 30 June 2009

Watchlist

I'll start with I, Claudius, an amazing BBC dramatisation of Graves' two books. This is often held up as a high point in tv drama and no wonder as it's f*%@ing great. The writing is brilliant and even though I thought the acting was a little hammy at times, it fits well with the larger than life characters of Augustus, Livia and their terrible family. Can't recommend this enough.


The Unborn was alright I guess, nothing particulary original but it managed a decent atmosphere and kept things going at a reasonable pace. Suppose it's Jewish mythos was something new at least but the main actress was duff and script patchy but it's always good to see Gary Oldman.

I've never watched anything by Hallmark before, mainly cause it's all looks so cheap and tacky and to be honest that was the impression I got from the first five mins of The Infinite Worlds of H.G. Wells - but after sticking with it for a bit I really enjoyed it. It retells some of Wells' own short stories as incidents that occured in his early life. Dunno if it's just Hallmarks production but I was sure it'd been filmed in the 80's not 2001. It's not classic by any means but an enjoyable Sunday watch if you're a scifi fan and if I was the Beeb I'd buy the IP and remake it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment