Sunday 28 June 2009

Magic picture box

Targets, produced by Corman and directed by Peter Bogdanovich, is excellent, a nasty little tale of a disturbed vietnam-vet who after dispatching his family goes on a sniping spree.Taut and modest, it's acted well enough and has Boris Karloff as an aging film star and he's surprisingly good.

Franklyn, was ok, another customer recommedation, I know I said I'd steer clear but I wanted this UK fantasy film to be better than it's poor reviews and to be honest I think it was. I mean it isn't perfect; there should have been more alternate reality, maybe tie in jilted at the alter guy's imaginary friend or how about religious dude's god ? Anyways it was a trier and you could kinda see what they were aiming for. I'd give them something for effort but a fallshort a little, making me think of Mirrormask.

Pit And The Pendulum
, yet another Corman pic, this one is one of C's Poe trilogy and is ok, gotta be honest I just not sure I'm that keen on Price in anything semi-serious. Maybe it's the later Camp years have spoiled him now - bit like Leslie Neilson. Anyways you know the story, missing sister leads to mysterious castle blah blah. Nice solid production but it couldn't hold my interest for long

No comments:

Post a Comment