Tuesday 21 July 2009

More Cinema

Coraline, was actually pretty good, I've got mixed feelings about Gaiman, but it's a nice and dark kids tale that's beautifully animated has a great story and has 3D worth bothering putting the glasses on for. If you can I'd try and catch this one on Bluray as it looks amazing.

The Hangover, the much-hyped comedy was - in the end - very funny and well worth watching. The plot is thin, basically a rerun of Dude Where's My Car, but it's the excellent performances from the 3 main characters and snappy script that lift this above the average. Ed Helms was brilliant as the brow-beaten stag who can't remembering getting married to a prostitute.


Green Lantern: First Flight - caused my Better Half and I some confusion as the opening 1o mins are almost identical to another animated GL feature we've seen ( but mysteriously can't find anywhere on the interweb). Regardless this was a by-the-numbers superhero outing, there's nothing wrong with it per se it just wasn't very exciting.

The Inhabited Island, was a film I'd been looking forward to seeing for ages. Based on a novel by the Strugatsky Bros, this big budget Russian sci fi was sadly a bit of a let down. It was ok I guess but most of the acting was below par, the styling seemed late 80's or early 90's to me and the big action pieces were underwhelming. Still it has a interesting enough story, think I'll buy the book and I'll be watching the second part so it can't have been all bad.

2010 - I caught the masterfull 2001 on TV on Sunday afternoon and got sucked back into that magical atmosphere so I thought I'd give the sequel a watch as it'd been ages. Hyam's film was never going to match Kubrick's effort but it's a decent enough effort. It's dated quite badly though and maybe it was a bad print or something but it doesn't look nearly as good as 2001, the acting is fine, the Dave sequences are a bit clumsy and there's too much narration by Scheider.

Hush, a new British horror was surprisingly good, ripping-off of a decent Kurt Russell film called Breakdown, it's a motorway thriller about a couple who get involved with some rather nasty people traffickers I guess you'd call them. The main character was a bit annoying however, most of the film he was a tedious idiot, stupid even for horror movie standards, but there was at least two bits where he seemed to do really smart things, way smarter than he'd been portrayed, oh well can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment