Sunday 29 August 2010

Carpenter's Portmanteau & Comedy Critters



John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors, I've seen most of his films at least twice even the rubbish ones like Vampires or Invisible Man. Anyways I hadn't, until now, seen his horror anthology Body Bags and despite it's starry cast it is most definitely one for the crappy pile. The 3 stories - Gas Station, Hair & Eye - are framed by Carpenter himself playing a juvenile morgue attendant and none of them are particularly successful. The 1st has some promise, the second is a sub-twilight zone comedic fable and the third directed by Tobe Hooper is hamstrung by having Luke Skywalker in it. One for fans of anthologies or Carpenter only I think.



Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is a made for TV movie from 1973 that Guillermo Del Toro is remaking next year, well he's producing it or something, so I thought I'd give it a go. Anyways a young couple move into Grandma's hideous old house and unwittingly unblock a chimney that seems to have been a prison for some odd little critters and once free they start messing with wifey's head. It's ok I guess, the acting is a bit rough and the critters are laughable but I dunno it musters a little atmosphere along the way which I guess is what interested Del T.

No comments:

Post a Comment