Wednesday 30 June 2010

TV box round up - mostly new


Treme I loved the Wire, Generation Kill & The Corner and I've got lots of love for the music of New Orleans so why can't I seem to enjoy Simon's post-Katrina drama set in the Crescent City? I've only seen the first three but besides the music there seemed to be little else going on, a handful of storylines with little momentum and that seemed to be about it. I will watch the rest somehow eventually.

Louie is the Curb-ish sitcom from the comedy brain of Louis CK. Semi-autobiographical it switches between his stand up material and his mundane struggles being a divorced father of two. Pretty funny but I'm not entirely convinced.

Persons Unknown - guess this is supposed to be a Lost substitute with mysteries rubbed in your face from the get go. 7 peeps are whisked from their everyday lives and wake up in an abandoned yet cctv filled town which they can't escape from and then their jailors start messing with them. It's ok but I doubt it'll last.

True Blood is back for it's third season, it's still good and they've expanded their bestiary to include Werewolves and Nazis. Oh and the third episode has a one of the most bizarre sex scenes I've ever seen - enjoy.

Jason Lee moves on from Earl to star in a light-ish cop show called Memphis Beat, it's not quite as good as Justified but better than I expected. It's only two eps in but so far I've quite enjoyed it: the cases are darker than I'd expected and it's peppered with some choice Memphis tunes.

The pilot for Rubicon was so-so, it kinda feels like Warehouse13 mashed with Lone Gunmen, all conspiracy and paranoia among a group of kooky CIA analysts, starring one of the leads from Pacific as the main dude. I'll give it a go when it starts in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment