Wednesday 1 December 2010

Kids vs Priests & Two Cheesy Capes


I'm not the biggest fan of the Xmas consumerist shebangalang but it's a good opportunity to treat the little ones to some retro fantasy fun. It wasn't my intention to rewatch The Box of Delights myself but I'm quite glad I did, I know it's trite but they really don't make them like this anymore. Based on a John Masefield novel from 1935 this period set 6 parter follows the adventures of a young boy home for the festivities who unwittingly becomes dragged into a supernatural battle for the titular box. Though it's seriously hampered by the cheapo FX at heart it's a charming, fantastical romp that has wit and dread in equal measures. It's hardly a surprise Mike Newell is thinking of a remake.

DC seem to be making more of an effort with their recent animated features but their latest, Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam isn't the best. Basically a retelling of the origin story of Captain Marvel but set in Metropolis this featurette is pitched at the younger kids and therefore is packed with cheese and is paper thin, worst of all though the animation is really patchy throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment