Friday 14 January 2011

Hammer & Glamour


Not being a fan of tabletop wargaming, or even knowing much about the Warhammer 40,000 universe I'm probably not the best person to review Ultramarines - the first feature from the Games Workshop - however I'm a scifi nerd and I love me some animation so I thought I'd give it a go. It's pretty straight forward stuff and romps along following a bunch of roughnecks heading to a religious shrine to investigate a distress beacon only to find themselves under attack from demons and the Black legion. The plot itself is ok and the voice acting pretty good with Stamp, Pertwee & Hurt all involved but the animation is substandard and actually makes the film look about 10 years old, maybe it was stuck in development hell or something but there's really no excuse for your maiden effort looking so bad. For the (many) fans only.

Tron 2 Legacy is some seriously shiny cinema, and much like the first film the paper thin plot is a secondary to some lovely scifi visuals. There's nothing wrong with that per se but I'm surprised given the time between the two installments nobody could come up with anything other than retooling the original plot. Bridges returns in a couple of guises and the acting on the whole is competent but it's all just window dressing for the light cycle battles and some cool Daft Punk tunes. I didn't exactly experience the full 3D effect so I might give it another go once it's on BluRay but I'll know to stop thinking before inserting the disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment